[wplug] Re: ADSL (Verizon) newbie cannot connect

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Mon Nov 17 12:52:43 EST 2003

Hagbard Celine wrote:
>>>The Verizon-supplied Westell WireSpeed ADSL modem is talking to a
>>>Linksys LNE100TX NIC (tulip driver) on eth2.
>>
>>Are you using a cross-over cable?
>>
>>Gil
>
> I sheepishly admit that I don't know.  All I know is that I'm using the cable
> supplied with the modem.  I *hope* it's the appropriate type.  (and with my
> luck, it isn't :)

You can actually determine this fairly easily:

a) Most premade cables will be labeled ... if there's a tag or sticker on it, it
    should say which it is.
b) If not, it's not too hard to determine the cable if the connecters are clear.
    If the sequence of colored wires in the connectors is identical at each end,
    then it's a straight-through cable.  If not, it's either a crossover or it's
    wired wrong.

HTH

--
Bill Moran