[wplug] ADSL (Verizon) newbie cannot connect

Hagbard Celine hceline at softhome.net
Mon Nov 17 11:32:17 EST 2003

Hi folks,

I was notified this morning that my brand-new Verizon ADSL was ready to go.

Yay!

I even spoke with a tech who nicely provided me with a username and password.

Yay!

I built and configured rp-pppoe-3.5, ppp-2.4.1, and iptables-1.2.7a.

Yay?

Typed 'adsl-start', it polled the device a few times, then timed out.

Boooooooooooooooooooo!

So here it is:

The Verizon-supplied Westell WireSpeed ADSL modem is talking to a
Linksys LNE100TX NIC (tulip driver) on eth2.  At boot, the card is brought UP,
but given no IP address, etc.  eth0 and eth1 have Linksys LNE100TX cards,
used for internal routing.  All three cards are autodetected.

Kernel 2.4.22
Glibc-2.3.2
rp-pppoe-3.5, configured through the supplied 'adsl-setup'. (I supply my own firewalling and DNS)
ppp-2.4.1
iptables-1.2.7a

The 'Ethernet' light on the modem is steadily on, so I take it that it knows
that the NIC is there?

I have seen mention that I might have to force the NIC to 10Mb, half-duplex,
but I'm not sure how to do that, and especially how to do that ONLY on eth2.

Oh, yes...  I don't run ANY distribution; I homebrew.

Any assistance from you long-suffering Verizon victims^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hcustomers
would be greatly appreciated.

Many much thanks,
Hagbard