[wplug] ripping

Eric C. Cooper ecc at cmu.edu
Thu Nov 13 19:03:52 EST 2003

On Thu, Nov 13, 2003 at 05:33:42PM -0500, John Harrold wrote:
> Sometime in November squeegy-wplug at squeegy.org assaulted the keyboard and produced:
>
> |  I am trying to rip my cd collection to my hard drive with grip or
> |  ripperx.  I have been having a problem of getting incomplete tracks.  If
> |  I re-rip the tracks I get a complete track.  I have tried cdda2wav and
> |  cdparanoia in the rip section of grip with the same results.  I have
> |  tried it with two different cdrom drives.
>
> it sounds like your cdrom drive might be hosed. do you have an extra one
> lying around you can try out?

You might also try:

1. copying a known-good CD-ROM to disk, say with "dd"
2. playing audio CDs through a CD player app
3. Looking at your syslog for kernel error messages while reading from the
CD drive.

That should help narrow down whether it's your CD drive failing.

--
Eric C. Cooper          e c c @ c m u . e d u