[wplug] Novell to acquire SUSE

Robert Coutch robert.coutch at verizon.net
Tue Nov 4 21:14:46 EST 2003

It's too early to download SuSE 9 - It's still RC1 on the ftp site.

It seems like it hits the store shelves first then later is available on the
ftp server.
SuSE doesn't do iso's except for live evaluation CD's (of which 9-RC1 is
available).

I'm a little on the lazy side so I like paying the $$ for the CD's.

As for the pronounciation - I've been saying "Susie" (like the girl's name)
for years.
I should have known better since I had 2 years of German in High School.
Ach du Leiber !!!!

I'm a huge SuSE fan since 7.1. I hope the Novell purchase will only mean good
things down the road. I hope the desktop versions continue as the always
have. I'm sure quite a few Europeans are hoping for the same.

I like Novell and Linux so I'm enthusiastic about where this may take both
OS's in the future.

Someone else already mentioned there will always be free distros of Linux and
I have to agree. If Red Hat and SuSE become unvailable to the (not so
wealthly) end users, we can always find another.

I have to think that the changes at Red Hat and SuSE will NOT leave the Linux
faithful out in the cold. After all, we're there best source of testers and
their original supporters. I don't think they will abandon us.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Don't forget about FreeBSD !! It's another good alternative.

-Bob