[wplug] RedHat and Fedora?

Tim Lesher tim at lesher.ws
Mon Nov 3 19:47:07 EST 2003

On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 04:55:41PM -0500, Russ Schneider wrote:
> So what's everyone's take on RedHat discontinuing all free Linux
> versions in favor of for-pay Enterprise versions and suggesting people
> use Fedora if they want something for free?

My take is that they compared the number of boxes sold + the number of
RHN licenses sold with the number of free RHN users, and did some
grade-school math.  My understanding is that the parts of RHAS that
aren't their "secret sauce" will still be shared with the Fedora
codebase, and vice versa.

> Has anyone any experience with Fedora?  Is it anywhere close to say,
> Redhat 9?  I'm gathering it won't be supported by RedHat at all, but
> maybe by volunteers.

Fedora is simply what would have been Redhat 10 beta, had they
continued with those releases.  There are some decent changes (ACPI
support, finally), and some normal, egregious bugs (the graphical boot
hangs if kudzu find changed hardware).  For me, the ACPI support was
reason enough to upgrade, even to betas; YMMV.

--
Tim Lesher <tim at lesher.ws>
http://www.lesher.ws