[wplug] Comcast High-Speed Internet

Bryon Gill bgtrio at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 3 16:06:40 EST 2003

Setting up linux support with Comcast was a giant
hassle, but I eventually got them to do it.  You just
have to show the technician who shows up at your door
how to set up a proxy using mozilla (or your browser
of choice) instead of through internet explorer.
Their service, as a company, is uninformed and awful,
but they are the only broadband option available in my
area.  Once you've authenticated through their proxy
the modem seems to serve up just plain old dhcp.

Oh, how I wish Telerama serviced North Fayette.

--- Matthew Danish <mdanish at andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 03:38:19PM -0500, gonffen
> wrote:
> > Can Comcast Internet run on Linux?  I know they
> only guarantee Windoze
> > and Mac so I thought I would ask you guys.
> Figured somebody out there
> > had tried it.
>
> I have Comcast, but I always use a router, anyway.
> Makes it really
> easy, plus they come with wireless nowadays, and for
> < $30.
>
> --
> ; Matthew Danish <mdanish at andrew.cmu.edu>
> ; OpenPGP public key: C24B6010 on keyring.debian.org
> ; Signed or encrypted mail welcome.
> ; "There is no dark side of the moon really; matter
> of fact, it's all dark."

=====
=====
What is wrong is that we have invented the technology to eliminate scarcity, but we are deliberately throwing it away
to benefit those who profit from scarcity.
            -John Gilmore
             http://cryptome.org/jg-wwwcp.htm