[wplug] Comcast High-Speed Internet

john at simplykiwi.com john at simplykiwi.com
Mon Nov 3 16:06:15 EST 2003

We're switching from Speakeasy DSL to Comcast cable internet in the coming
week. I'll be sure to post my experiences, but in general, the whole idea
of TCP/IP networking is that it would work with anything that supports a
TCP/IP stack.

Now, there have been some encarnations which require a special dialer, or
special authentication application, but for the most part, these are rare,
and themselves use some semi-standard protocols bound to be supported by
Linux.

I would ask the question of whether or not the service uses PPPoE, or any
type of authentication at all. Most cable companies simply give you a
modem and take note of the MAC address before leaving your house.