[wplug] Mac OS9 and OpenDarwin happily coexist

Robert Terwilliger raterwil at verizon.net
Sat Nov 1 09:19:47 EST 2003

Just a update to those who attended the WPLUG meeting in August when I
presented OpenDarwin running on my '98 Mac PowerBook. On my 20 GB internal
drive, I have Mac OS9 living on one 10 GB partition, with OpenDarwin on the
other.

When running OS9, I can switch my PowerBook to boot into Darwin by using the
Startup Disk control panel.

When running Darwin, I can switch the PowerBook to boot into OS9 by first
typing "reboot" as the root user, then invoking the OpenFirmware prompt
(Apple-Option-O-F) at startup. At the prompt, typing "BYE" and <return>
boots into OS9. Typing "BOOT" and <return> again boots into Darwin.

If you are either having trouble replicating the above procedures or have
other comments or questions about this process, contact me at
raterwil at alum.mit.edu.

Cheers,

Robert Terwilliger