[wplug] Audigy 2 ZS soundcard

Robert Coutch robert.coutch at verizon.net
Sat Nov 1 02:31:26 EST 2003

Hi all,

I finally went out and purchased an Audigy 2 ZS (brand new) sound card at
CompUSA.

The plain Audigy 2 was out of stock.  The shelf tag stated $129.99 but after
checking with the store I found that the old card has dropped to around $79
and the new Audigy ZS is $99.

Plugged it into my system and fired it up.

SuSE 8.2 detected it as an Audigy card and loaded the drivers and then -
NOTHING !

To make a long story short I had to download updated ALSA drivers from
alsa-project.org.

Then alsaconfig detected the card as Audigy 2 and I got sound.
Even better - I finally have MIDI.

Internal on the EMU synth and external via the included GAME/MIDI port slot
plate.

This card is designed for 7.1 surround sound - CRAZY !

Right now I'm listening to a MIDI file ( Tarkus by Emerson Lake and Palmer) -
sounds better than my Korg 05RW rack module.

My system came with ALSA 0.9.0 and the latest is 0.9.8 just so you know.

Thanks for all the sound card suggestions you folks gave me.
Now I have to go and try playing a round of RTCW - Enemy Territory !!!

Thanks,

Bob