[wplug] .conf editing remotely

Bob Schmertz rschmertz at speakeasy.net
Sat May 31 15:34:30 EDT 2003

Emacs does work in console mode.  Sometimes you have to give it -nw
option to make it work.

If I want fast startup, I use pico (or nano, the Free Software copycat),
with the -w option if I don't want it to throw in line breaks.

Most people agree that all Unix users should become experienced with vi
or Emacs.  If you don't know either of these, start learning one today
(and pick emacs, not vi :-)).  And though I hate vi, I've forced myself
to learn survival vi, since I occasionally have it shoved in my face on
systems that I have never used but have to do something with.

I was going to mention cat + ^D, which you can use to create text files,
but AFAIK you can't use it to edit an existing file, so I won't....

On Fri, 30 May 2003, Jonathan S. Billings wrote:

>I've come to rely on 'vi' for quick edits on remote unixen.  You can
>almost guarentee that there's going to be vi on any well-built unix,
>and it's command set is pretty much always the same.  I don't want to
>invoke a emacs vs. vi war, but for speed and portability, you can't
>beat vi for a simple editor.
>
>Well... I suppose there's ex.... or ed.... or dd... whatever.
>
>On Friday, May 30, 2003, at 06:36  PM, Scott Bourns wrote:
>
>> Guys and Gals:
>>
>> What's the preferred method to edit .conf files while logged in
>> remotely via
>> a terminal emulator?
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>>
>> Scott