[wplug] How much performance increase with more memory?

James O'Kane jo2y at midnightlinux.com
Wed May 28 17:14:47 EDT 2003

On Tue, 15 Apr 2003, Tim Lesher wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 12:52:30PM -0400, John Strange wrote:
> > man vmstat :)
>
> Yep, or free(1).  As usual in Linux, There's More Than One Way To Do
> It (tm). :-)  I usually gravitate towards /proc/<whatever> just out of
> habit.

or sar(1) from sysstat package. It was added to Red Hat a few versions
ago, and takes 5 minute samples and keeps them for about a week. Much less
guesswork when you can see a weeklong trend.

It's on my longterm project list at work to gather such stats so we can
decide if we have enough compute servers, for example. If I don't find
something prepackaged, I'll probably use rrdtool to graph the data in
manager-friendly format.

-james