[wplug] something wrong with modules on Gentoo system

Vanco, Donald VANCOD at PIOS.com
Wed May 28 13:04:22 EDT 2003

I started my initial Gentoo install on April 13.  At that point I had a
customized kernel that, at boot, loaded modules for 6 different devices /
functions.  Over the past weeks, I have been adding quite a few packages to
the system, one of which happened to be new kernel source.

Today, for the first time since emerging dozens of packages, I tried to
reboot my system.  It booted with unresolved symbols for all 6 of the
modules I have called out in /etc/modules.autoload.  If it's not clear, on
previous boots all of this worked fine.  I searched /lib/modules/(mykernel)
and all of the modules are GONE.  It appears a good deal f the driver tree
has been pruned into non-existence.  The date on modules.autoload has not
changed.

I went ahead an compiled a kernel with the new source, and have recovered -
but WTF.  Have any of you Gentoo users ever seen anything like this????
Sadly, I have no idea at what point this might have happened, but I can tell
you that it's through no (knowing) intervention on my part.  As far as I
know, the only package(s) I installed that have anything to do with modules
was ALSA - but I have not done any of the configuration after the initial
install (or anything relating to sound), and as far as I can tell it's
poised for greatness, but not until I take steps to actually install modules
and bring it up.

Don