[wplug] compiling RH 9 kernel

Rick Smith rick at rbsmith.com
Mon May 26 12:28:38 EDT 2003

Has anyone compiled RH 9 using kernel-source rpm?
I'm playing around with it on a machine, though don't have access
to that machine right now.
I loaded that RPM, then..
cd /usr/src/linux-2.4
cp configs/<whatever the plain i386 one is>.config .config
make menuconfig
# read through things, but don't change anything
make dep
make bzImage
make modules

And the modules compile fails because include/linux/rhconfig.h isn't
getting included.  In poking around, this is a file that is not part of
the normal kernel, but something RedHat added.  It is included in
include/linux/version.h, which is included in some of the module files.
I hacked the failing file so it included this, and it compiled, but the
next one failed for the same reason.  Seems odd that I'm compiling a RH
kernel with a RH config file on a RH system and it isn't working.  While
I can get it to work, I'm thinking that I must be missing something.  I
googled about and looked at RH site for kernel compiling and found a
bunch of info, but none concerning this.

So before I dump more info about the details here, I'd like to hear
if anyone has compiled a kernel using the RH 9 modified sources.

-- Rick