[wplug] unable to mount disk

Vanco, Donald VANCOD at PIOS.com
Sun May 25 20:40:44 EDT 2003

My guess would be that the issue is the raw device.  Did the old / other
system have some definition of "hdf" as anything other than a raw device (as
opposed to a partition)?  Given that you're using "complete" syntaxt I do
not believe that it matters what's in /etc/fstab - but if there's bogus data
in /etc/mtab that could be an issue.

Does the mount point exist? (try another "known good" mount point like
/mnt/floppy)
Just for grins - have you tried mounting it without the "type" option? (is
it possibly ext2?)
Have you tried mounting the first partition of the device instead of the raw
device?
You're sure of this device on the bus / bus position? (it's still hdf?)

Don

-----Original Message-----
From: John Harrold [mailto:jmh17 at pitt.edu]
Sent: Sun 5/25/2003 9:34 AM
To: wplug at wplug.org
Subject: [wplug] unable to mount disk

ok this is kind of odd. i upgraded my home machine (to redhat 9), and when
i tried to mount a disk that i was able to mount under redhat 7.3 i get the
following error:

mount -t ext3 /dev/hdf /mnt/fs/set1/

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdf,
       or too many mounted file systems

yes that is 'hdf' and no partition number. does anyone have any idea on
what this means? i have it backed up to a few hundred cdrw's but i would
rather not spend the week feeding them into my machine.

                                               | /"\
 john harrold                                  | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
      jmh at member.fsf.org                    |  X  against HTML mail
           the most useful idiot               | / \
 What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless,
 whether the mad destruction is brought under the name of totalitarianism or

 the holy name of liberty and democracy?
 --Gandhi