[wplug] Installing a kernel RPM?

Vanco, Donald VANCOD at PIOS.com
Sat May 24 19:25:58 EDT 2003

My suggestions for using up2date for kernels:
I set up2date to download only and not install (simply run up2date --config
to see what options you have)
This will d/l the kernel and leave it in /var/spool/up2date.  If you have
selected kernel source, it'll be there as well.

Here's why I do this -
up2date has a bad feature - it replaces the running kernel.  By installing
it manually you can test the new kernel before removing the old kernel.
By installing the new kernel with "rpm -ivh 'kernelname'" you'll end up with
the new kernel as well as your old kernel.

rpm -Fvh and rpm -Uvh also present different behavior when it comes to
installing kernels - but it's been so long since I've used them I cannot say
with certainty what happens - but I think that both will replace (as oppose
to "augment") presently installed kernels.

The downside to this is that some releases of RH (like 7.3) can get
"confused" about what kernel is installed - trying to remove your old kernel
with rpm -e can result in rpm telling you it's not installed.  All you need
to do in this case is clean out /boot of everything that references your old
kernel, regenerate the sym links found there, and edit the bootloader menu
you use.

As a rule - I set up2date to d/l everything and then I install manually -
this also allows me to tar up the updates and make them available to other
machines on my network as most of them have a similar install profile and
there will be about 90% overlap in packages - making additional up2date
sessions on other machines shorter if nothing else.......

HTH / YMMV
Don