[wplug] Installing a kernel RPM?

TC Linux linux at twistedcranium.com
Sat May 24 18:25:46 EDT 2003

Bob Schmertz wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-05-24 at 10:05, TC Linux wrote:
>
>>Hello pluggers!
>>
>>My subscription to the Red Hat Network has notified me that the kernel
>>should be updated.  Now, I have used the up2date feature for other
>>packages, and it handled the download and the installation.  My question
>>is, when downloading this kernel update, will it still do the
>>installation for me?  Do I need to compile anything?  And will this
>>require a loss of any settings?
>>

> Assuming you are already running a kernel compiled by Red Hat, you
> shouldn't have any problems just up2dating it like any other package.
> It will already be compiled.  Installation should even add the
> appropriate lines to your grub.conf (a.k.a. menu.lst) to provide an
> option to boot to the new kernel.

So this would add another kernel or just update the existing one to the
the new one? Would this show two kernel boot options in grub?  If so,
how would I go about removing the older kernel (entry and kernel)?

--

Craig Lang :: "Give Me Linux or Give Me Death!"
linux at twistedcranium.com
http://www.twistedcranium.com
{ICQ 137138155 & Yahoo/AOL IM: twistdcranium}