[wplug] Installing a kernel RPM?

Bob Schmertz rschmertz at speakeasy.net
Sat May 24 17:22:57 EDT 2003

On Sat, 2003-05-24 at 10:05, TC Linux wrote:
> Hello pluggers!
>
> My subscription to the Red Hat Network has notified me that the kernel
> should be updated.  Now, I have used the up2date feature for other
> packages, and it handled the download and the installation.  My question
> is, when downloading this kernel update, will it still do the
> installation for me?  Do I need to compile anything?  And will this
> require a loss of any settings?

Assuming you are already running a kernel compiled by Red Hat, you
shouldn't have any problems just up2dating it like any other package.
It will already be compiled.  Installation should even add the
appropriate lines to your grub.conf (a.k.a. menu.lst) to provide an
option to boot to the new kernel.

If you compiled your own kernel, and need some special features not
present in the Red Hat one, or want a stripped down kernel with only the
features you need, then up2dating the kernel won't give you that.  It
shouldn't hurt you to up2date the kernel in this case, since you can
have multiple kernels installed on your system, but it would just be a
waste of bandwidth and disk space.

--
Cheers,
Bob Schmertz