[wplug] Red Hat AS/ES (was Building redhat from source)

Vanco, Donald VANCOD at PIOS.com
Sat May 24 08:07:14 EDT 2003

Keir Josephson wrote:
> Well, AS/ES have a different licensing strategy. What your actually
> paying for is an annual subscription to a support contract of some
> type when you buy the AS/ES offering. They market the product as
> though you were purchasing the software, and that was actually the
> case until recently.
	No - that was never the case.  It's always been about buying the
support.

> Before they created the Enterprise Server
> product, you could only but the Advanced Server product.
	No.  Red Hat Enterprise Linux was a "rebranding" of the Advanced
Server product and the introduction of the ES and AW products.  There was no
change to the core OS (save new splash screens)  - only to the support
wrapped around it.  ES has the clustering stripped out.  AW has more
compilation / software stuff to the base install.  Additionally, the ES and
AW products are not supported on anything above a 2-way.
	The only Enterprise Linux product that is "different" is the
Advanced Workstation for Itanium-II - and that's only available with the
purchase of an H-P Itanium-II box (H-P paid for and owns the port - much
like Compaq did with RH7.2 for Alpha)

> Server had with the ISO's,
	Never was any such thing.

> their proprietary clustering software.
	Wrong again - it's based on Mission Critical's (Open Source)
Kimberlite clustering.  Red Hat hired 3/4 of the collapsing Mission Critical
and turned Kimberlite into what is essentially Mission Critical's Convolo
Clustering product.

> However, Enterprise Server is essentially Advanced Server without the
> clustering software. The only way to get the ISO's from red hat is to
> buy them (i.e. buy the first year of support).
	I have to assume you mean CD's.....

> At this point, the licensing model starts to get a little gray. Do you
> have to continue to pay the annual fee in order to have the right to
> use the ES product,
	The "right" to use it?  No.  The "privilege" to get update binaries
from Red Hat?  Yes.  There will always be source updates posted to the
mirrors - again, in keeping with the GPL....

> since it is all licensed under the GPL? The
> answer is no, but red hat is not really selling it that way. However,
> if you pin them down that is the answer you'll get (more or less).
> They've designed the product to work with their support solutions and
> that's what they would like to sell it as. Can't honestly blame them
> for wanting to make a few bucks. The nice thing about the support, is
> that companies like HP & Oracle are claiming that they'll keep a
> support issue in their court and work with Red Hat behind the scenes
> to find a resolution for your problem as long as you have a current
> support contract with Red Hat as well. While it may not be the
> preferred method for those that know the os, it's a great way to ease
> the concerns of your average CIO and get linux into some of the more
> conservative data centers.
	It's also worth noting that in order to have the Oracle support
mentioned above you have to have an "as compiled by Red Hat" kernel
installed.  They'll run a checksum against your kernel, and if it's not a RH
supplied kernel you've just voided your support.  This was a big deal as
there was / is some (now stable) functionality missing from the RH kernels.

> As for the ES 2.1 product itself. Really it's just a mix of pieces
> from their 7.x versions that red hat has deemed to be a stable
> release to give to software companies to certify their products on.
> It has a 2.4.9 kernel,
> ,glibc-2.1.3, etc., etc. I use the word stable, because the stability
> issues, at least with oracle, have been that their software doesn't
> always jive with a particular linux distro or install depending on
> the kernel rev & libs your running that day.
	It was wholly based off the 7.3 code tree.  Through updates, the
kernel has updated to near current revs - and it has "split" to provide
kernels that support both the "old" (pre-2.4.10) and the "new" kernel memory
architectures.

> In the case of the os, itself, because it's licensed under the GPL,
> you can download the source for free off of red hat's site and run it
> free of charge just like any other distro.
	Yeah - after a week of compiling :)

	If anyone cares, the next release (due out late Q3) will have
several additional technology advancements - including LVM (sorely missed in
the current product) and a native clustered filesystem.  It will be a whole
new code stream that will support all architectures built by IBM, and at
least IA-32 and IA-64 from H-P (have not heard anything regarding Alpha, and
to talk to the Alpha guys they're doing more with Debian and Gentoo(!) these
days...).

	There is a whole philosophy behind the Enterprise Linux line - and
it really makes sense if you've seen the papers and drank the Kool-Aid.  All
of the stuff is on redhat.com

Don