[wplug] Building redhat from source

Vanco, Donald VANCOD at PIOS.com
Fri May 23 16:46:47 EDT 2003

It's also worth noting that there are a bunch of folks hoping to circumvent
the cost of the RH EL product line by compiling the entire distro from
sources.  Sadly, it appears that these distros are not quite fully "self
hosting" - builds of some portions of GNOME and things like that fail...

My personal experiences with building updates to AS from src rpms bears that
out - you really need a licensed, "full" install to get things to build
without flaming hoops and spinning plates on sticks....

The anaconda list is for issues relating to the installer - my guess would
be that one of the more general lists would be a lot more appropriate.  I
would further hazard a guess and say that you're not going to see too many
folks employed by Red Hat answering the question "How can I compile Red Hat
Linux "XXXX" so I don't have to buy a copy" - but that's what the community
is for!

This will help you assemble all the re-compiled bits into an actual
installable piece of media - getting the RPMs is only a portion of the
battle..... http://tinyurl.com/cixq

YMMV
Don