[wplug] NTP and bad time sources

John Strange john at strangeness.org
Fri May 23 13:02:03 EDT 2003

Hmm

By default I've always seen ntpd refuse to set the time if the
difference is greater than 1 hour, hence the reason that you run ntpdate
before you set it with ntpd.

More than likely your BIOS date is off, check with hwclock and set it
correctly.  The best way to setup your ntp stuff is to setup one/two
ntpd servers internally that go outside to sync, then set the rest of
your machines to sync off those.  Old hardware that you have laying
around works great for it.

- John