[wplug] setting up Iomega on RedHat 8.0

Vanco, Donald VANCOD at PIOS.com
Thu May 22 08:58:07 EDT 2003

	It looks to me like a couple things have to be in place in
modules.conf:
alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc  (to load the parport_pc.o driver for the
parallel port)
alias block-major-8 imm (to provide the Iomega driver)

	...on my system inserting the module scans the parallel port for a
device, hence the parallel port driver.
	It would also appear that this module will fail to load if the
Iomega drive in question is not (at least) attached and (possibly) powered
on.
	Hopefully, it's clear that the parallel port needs to be enables in
the BIOS (as it happens, mine is not...)

For issues in why it might be failing, open another terminal / console and
type:
tail -f /var/log/messages
...to follow the kernel / system loggers as it tries to load the module
(hint: this is fairly standard debugging practice)

Don
Teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime, teach a man to "echo..." and
he eats for a day...