[wplug] background

Rick Smith rick at rbsmith.com
Tue May 20 20:04:04 EDT 2003

On Tue, May 20, 2003 at 03:47:11PM -0400, John Strange wrote:
> Typically ssh will hang if you have something hanging onto your session,
> either bg'd or not.
>
> I'm sure someone can tell me why this is happenning, as I hate it and
> havent' had time to find a workaround.

ssh has a little command language.  Look for ~ in the man page.
Here's a relevant section:

       If a pseudo-terminal has been allocated (normal login ses-
       sion),  the user can disconnect with "~.", and suspend ssh
       with "~^Z".  All forwarded connections can be listed  with
       "~#",  and if the session blocks waiting for forwarded X11
       or TCP/IP connections to terminate, it can be backgrounded
       with "~&" (this should not be used while the user shell is
       active, as it can cause the shell to hang).  All available
       escapes can be listed with "~?".

That is, I can ssh into some where, run "xclock &" there, then
logoff and type a ~& and it will background the remaining part
of the ssh session and give me my local command prompt back.

-- Rick