[wplug] Replys

Matthew Danish mdanish at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue May 20 16:22:07 EDT 2003

I would go further and say that every poster should trim out the parts of the
message which aren't relevant to their response, and use the rest as one might
use quotations in a term paper.  This helps a lot in keeping responses down to
the important details.  Netiquette is important if you want people to read your
messages.  (Particularly if you are asking for help!)

While we're on the subject, I also dislike when people post new threads as
thread, do not hit the reply button just because you are too lazy to type in
wplug at wplug.org.  Threading happens at a deeper level than just the Subject
line, if you did not know.  There are other headers in the mail message which
get set.  Mail readers such as Mutt can take these and provide a threaded view,
but if you post new threads with 'reply' then they may get deleted or
overlooked as part of the other thread.  Replying to a thread and changing the
subject means that your message is part of the thread, but has diverged enough
from the original subject that it should be noted.

My two cents, anyway.

--
; Matthew Danish <mdanish at andrew.cmu.edu>
; Signed or encrypted mail welcome.