[wplug] Refreshing?

Vanco, Donald VANCOD at PIOS.com
Tue May 20 14:53:10 EDT 2003

Weber, Larry A wrote:
> I had to uninstall Glade from my RedHat 8.0 system.  After the files
> were removed I found that Gnome would not start up properly.  The
> error message indicated that the desktop had hung up because it could
> not find the Glade library files used to display time.  I know that
> during the removal of Glade that files were removed from several
> directories.  I was able to find and reinstall enough of the files to
> allow the desktop to start, but much of the menu bar was lost.
>
> Is there a way to reinstall without repartitioning and loosing my user
> directories and installed applications?   I tried "Upgrading" but
> that did not reinstall the missing files.   I don't care about
> loosing user preference settings (screensavers, colors, theme, fonts,
> etc).  I just don't want to have to reinstall all the apps.

up2date can re-install (and satisfy deps) of anything you might have nuked.
The caveat being that you have to have removed the RPMs in question, not
just arbitrarily deleted files & directories.

so..
up2date glade
or
up2date gnome-core

or some other variable may save you.

You can also stick in the media and do an "upgrade" install - but that will
also not fix a muddled RPM database

BTW....  _had_ to remove glade???

Don