[wplug] Gentoo and icc

Vanco, Donald VANCOD at PIOS.com
Mon May 19 15:07:00 EDT 2003

	I see that there is a USE option under Gentoo for the Intel C
compiler and it states "Use the Intel C++ Compiler is the package supports
it" - so, does this mean that if I merge icc that the balance of the
packages will attempt to compile with the Intel compiler - or does there
have to be some kind of hooks in the source to force that option?  There is
a comment at the end of the install that states something about "emerging
icc-enabled ebuilds" that leads me to think this is the case.
	My (limited) experiences have shown apps to run aboot 15 to 30%
faster on non-GCC compilers, and it would really be cool to compile an
entire distro with icc.

	Has anyone done this?  Seems to me there would have to be something
in make.conf to force this option (over gcc).  If it's not obvious, I have
never "forced" a compiler other than gcc...

Don