[wplug] Disabling tab completion in bash

Jeremy Dinsel jeremy at gunix.net
Fri May 16 13:15:12 EDT 2003

After puzzling over the man page concerning methods to disable tab
completion in bash, I've found myself at a loss. I have a program, that
for some complicated reasons, needs to do the following:

cat << EOFSEQUENCE > file
echo data
EOFSEQUENCE

If the data echo'd (I'm actually not using the bash echo command, but it
reads better that way in an explination)... if the data echo'd contains
a tab, the shell tries to expand whatever is under the cursor into a
command, file or hostname. This is undesireable. It means that the data
goes from:

"monkey						monkey"

to:

"monkeymonkey"

Changing tab in ~/.inputrc is an interesting idea presented by the man
page; however, I want the change to take place only while this program
is running, not for the life of the shell.

Can anyone recommend a work around?

Thanks,
-j
--
- Jeremy Dinsel
- "My mother used to say, 'In this world you need to be oh so smart, or oh so