[wplug] Have you all been keeping up with this?

John Strange john at strangeness.org
Fri May 16 09:22:11 EDT 2003

Welp,

Here's an intersting point on this subject:

"But SCO already has one immense problem staring it right in the face,
in terms of establishing any valid claim to intellectual property that's
contained in Linux. SCO has distributed their own version of Linux. And
Linux is licensed under the GNU General Public License. And, according
to the GPL, SCO has therefore granted full rights to all source code --
including all intellectual property that they might hold rights to under
a different license (such as AT&T System V) -- to all users who received
their Linux distribution. In other words, by having distributed Linux,
SCO gave up any claim of infringement by any code appearing in Linux.

Further, by alleging that intellectual property infringements exist in
Linux, SCO is prohibited by the terms of the GPL (specifically, Section
7) from continuing to distribute the product.

The sound you hear is The SCO Group crisping in the fire it started"