[wplug] FW: qmail

Mike Griffin mike at dmrnetworks.com
Thu May 15 08:57:20 EDT 2003

First off, qmail relies on dnscache. If you don't have it installed and
running correctly, make sure you do so.
By looking at your bounce, make sure you have an alias setup for root
with a valid 'Maildir' you can get this information by looking at
/var/qmail/alias/.qmail-root .

Have a look at the qmail-smtpd log, if the default wasn't changed it
will be under /var/service/qmail-smtpd/log/main
It's nice to have timestamps on the logs, pipe your output through
tai64nlocal which can be found in the /command directory. This is
installed with the daemontools package.

The owner/group of qmail-queue should be qmailq.qmail with the
permissions of -rws--x--x

Make sure relaying is setup. I use /etc/tcp.smtp personally. You will
have to change qmail-smtpd/run in order to reflect these changes. To
start with you may want to relay through another mail server (this is
bad practice but could help you troubleshoot) in
/var/qmail/control/smtproutes

There is a qmail mailing list which you should look over, it has a lot
of problems like this and can give you a lot more info than I can off
the top of my head.

Hope this gives you a good start though.

Mike