[wplug] Removing old kernel (was Xinetd and up2date)

Bob Schmertz rschmertz at speakeasy.net
Wed May 14 13:09:14 EDT 2003

On Wed, 14 May 2003, Arnaud wrote:

>System: RH9
>
>Also, Up2date upgraded my kernel from 2.4.20-8 to 2.4.20-9. I want to
>remove the entry from grub so that the bootloader no longer shows the
>2.4.20-8 kernel. Can I accomplish this by removing the entry from
>grub.conf and removing any 2.4.20-8 files from /boot? Are there any
>other useless files I should delete?

I would do this by:

1) Making a boot floppy in case part two of my suggestion doesn't work

2) rpm -e kernel-2.4.20-8

3) Edit the grub.conf file as you described -- I don't think the rpm -e
will take care of that.

But you could also do as you described and delete them by hand (your RPM
database wouldn't like it, though), and also delete lib/modules/2.4.20-8

--
Cheers,
Bob Schmertz