[wplug] ISPs, floppy, shebang and man questions

Bob Schmertz rschmertz at speakeasy.net
Mon May 12 23:08:31 EDT 2003

On Mon, 12 May 2003, Amy D wrote:

>2.) So now that the file has been enabled to run (I have no idea how you
>actually say this) and still doesn't, the first thing I want to check is the
>shebang line. The sample cgi file that James created for me had #!/bin/bash,
>so I'm figuring #!bin/perl ? I've tried several variants on that -
>#!/usr/bin/perl, #!/usr/local/bin/perl, but please don't hesitate to tell me
>that one of those should have worked. I've been changing other things too,
>and think I've been trying al possible combinations, but could have easily
>missed one.

How are you trying to run the script?  What is the output?  The first
shebang thing you mentioned was #!bin/perl, which can't be right because
you didn't put the leading slash before bin.  On Red Hat, perl goes in
/usr/bin (at least it used to; I'm not really using it anymore), so
#!/usr/bin/perl should work.

>3.) I don't yet have internet access from the linux side of my computer. I'm
>doing some searches to see which ISPs will work with Linux, but I wonder if
>any of you would be willing to share which ones you use (assuming it's
>something I can buy as an individual, and in fact one using a dial-up
>modem.) and what you like/don't like about them. Also cost. Brian has
>already told me some good things about telerama, including the static IP
>address it offers.

Most should work for dialup, but I'm not local, so I can't recommend any
(well, Verizon does work with Linux, I know that).  The more important
question is what kind of modem you have.  Did you get yourself a
USRobotics external modem to play it safe, or do you have what came with
the computer?  Not all modems work with Linux.

>4.) Until I get that together, though, and as long as you guys are offering
>Where is the floppy on the linux file system? I'm reading about the cp
>command, but don't know how to tell linux where to put the copy... It would
>also be good to know how to do this from the graphic interface, but to be
>able to do it from *somewhere* at this point would make my day.

I'm surprised you can't get it immediately from your desktop.  That
wiill depend on which desktop you are using.  The following should
always work, though:

mount /mnt/floppy
cd /mnt/floppy
ls