[wplug] ISPs, floppy, shebang and man questions

Amy D crosstuner at hotmail.com
Mon May 12 19:16:27 EDT 2003

Hi all.
I really appreciate all the help you're giving me. Each answered question,
unfortunately, seems to lead to more. five follow.
Amy

1.) Thanks, Lance. I went in to try it again and it seemed to work. The
first time I wasn't logged in as root. I'm assuming that was the problem?

--
Lance Tost <ltost at pobox.com>

2.) So now that the file has been enabled to run (I have no idea how you
actually say this) and still doesn't, the first thing I want to check is the
shebang line. The sample cgi file that James created for me had #!/bin/bash,
so I'm figuring #!bin/perl ? I've tried several variants on that -
#!/usr/bin/perl, #!/usr/local/bin/perl, but please don't hesitate to tell me
that one of those should have worked. I've been changing other things too,
and think I've been trying al possible combinations, but could have easily
missed one.

3.) I don't yet have internet access from the linux side of my computer. I'm
doing some searches to see which ISPs will work with Linux, but I wonder if
any of you would be willing to share which ones you use (assuming it's
something I can buy as an individual, and in fact one using a dial-up
modem.) and what you like/don't like about them. Also cost. Brian has
already told me some good things about telerama, including the static IP
address it offers.

4.) Until I get that together, though, and as long as you guys are offering
all this <gush>wonderful generous</gush> help, I might want to copy
something into an email for feedback (as Lance had suggested earlier). With
the setup I have now, I don't see any way of doing that but copying the
stuff onto a floppy in linux and then grabbing it from windows. So here's a
question I was really weirded out by the realization that I had to ask it..
Where is the floppy on the linux file system? I'm reading about the cp
command, but don't know how to tell linux where to put the copy... It would
also be good to know how to do this from the graphic interface, but to be
able to do it from *somewhere* at this point would make my day.

5.) I tried the command "man vi" in the hope of learning some of the
keystroke comands for vi, but what I got looks like the man page for an
editor called vim. help?