[wplug] Re: Cisco VPN Problem

Keir Josephson kjoseph at stargate.net
Sat May 10 12:55:25 EDT 2003

Tell me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like when you bring up the vpn client,
your machine is now trying to 'round-robin' it's X data stream out to the
other end of the vpn tunnel then back. This could be happening if the vpn
client changes your default gateway or adds a gateway for use by the
tunnel.

Also, are you using a dns server that is on the other side of this tunnel?
If you are, does it update when your machine's vpn client is enabled. Many
internal networks update dns when a dhcp address is brought online, and
since cisco vpn keeps a pool of internal ip's for use with vpn clients
this is entirely possible. You might be able to fix something like this by
using the /etc/hosts file and setting the nsswitch.conf file to check for
files first.

-Keir