[wplug] Limewire

Bob Schmertz rschmertz at speakeasy.net
Thu May 8 13:30:42 EDT 2003

On Thu, 8 May 2003, James O'Kane wrote:

>On 8 May 2003, John M. Rocker wrote:
>
>> OK No java in
>> (/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin)
>> How do I find java and tell mandrake where it is??
>
>It is probably /usr/java/jresomething/bin/ assuming you used the rpm from
>Sun.
>to add that to your path,
>export PATH=/usr/java/something/bin:$PATH
>
>To add it forever, you want to put something like that in your ~/.bashrc
>file.
>
>If it's not there, but you did install it from an rpm, you can try:
>rpm -ql j2re  (I'm not exactly sure what the package name was)

Try rpm -qa | grep ^j to get a listing of all RPM packages beginning
with 'j', so you can be sure of the package name.  Then do the "rpm -ql
jdk" or whatever it turns out to be.

>If you didn't use an rpm, you could try locate:
>locate java
>which will show you everything in the slocate database from the lasttime
>it was updated. (see man slocate)

Let me suggest "locate bin/java", as the JVM is almost certainly in some
bin directory, and this will prevent locate from spewing out the entire
listing of the java installation.

>If you don't have locate installed/running, you could try the brute force
>method:
>
>find / -type f -name "java"
>(Use this with some caution because if you have directories mounted from
>other machines, for example, /mnt/machinewithlotsofdisk/ it will walk down
>that directory tree and cause excessive network traffic, and diskload,
>etc.

For speeding things up and reducing the chance of hitting those mounted
directories (if any -- if he's downloading Limewire I'm guessing it's a
home machine, so not that likely he's got NFS going on, but anyway), I'd
suggest "find /opt /usr -type f -name java", as it usually gets
installed somewhere under one of those two directories.

I seem to be obsessed with optimizations today.

--
Cheers,
Bob Schmertz