[wplug] Kernel file format

Matthew Danish mdanish at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue May 6 08:54:27 EDT 2003

On Tue, May 06, 2003 at 08:41:34AM -0400, Weber, Larry A wrote:
> I recently downloaded the full 2.4.20 Linux kernel.  It is compressed using
> BZIP2 (.bz2).  When I decompress the file I get a single large file
> containing all of the source text.  Is there a way to decompress the kernel
> archive into individual files?  I am stuck doing this on a Win98 PC using
> version 1.0.2 of bzip2.

bz2 is just a file compressor, it does not archive.  Most likely the files are
in a tar archive, and the file type is really .tar.bz2 [1].  You need a program
which can handle .tar, Winzip should be able to on Win98.

[1] For some imagined value of "file type", this being Unix we're talking about
after all.

--
; Matthew Danish <mdanish at andrew.cmu.edu>
; Signed or encrypted mail welcome.