[wplug] Ximian Evolution/Ximian Connector

Jeremy Dinsel jeremy at gunix.net
Sun May 4 19:20:31 EDT 2003

It's been a while since I've posted anything to the list, but recently,
I've been struck by something that's had a considerable impression upon
my life. I thought I would share.

At work, I had a linux box for development, a windows box for reading
email and running the programs that I was developing on the linux box
(although, they could also be run on the linux box) and my linux laptop
for moving around the office and reading my outlook email through VNC.

Something happened which drastically changed my office environment.
Ximian produced (and I discovered some years? later) a program for
connecting the Ximian evolution client to an exchange 2000 server.
Thanks to this product, I'm no longer reading my outlook email in
outlook. I'm no longer looking at outlook for the calendar. In fact, I'm
no longer running windows on any of my primary computers at work.

I did find that there are some key things missing in my environment
still. The only one of any significance in my day-to-day life is that
the non-MS Office programs cannot format documents in the same way that
MS products can format them -- abiword is close, but not all the way
there. I'll just have to push for html encoded documents (or the
penultimate, ascii).

For me, Linux just isn't as frustrating as Microsoft products are. In
fact, its always been the complete opposite. Recently, I had been
reflecting on what people had been saying back in 1997 -- linux won't
catch on. It's not usable. Blah blah, etc, etc. I didn't believe them
then, and I definately don't believe it today.

Back to Evolution: Evolution seems to be an interesting beast. I'm not
sure why this is the case, but it copies mail out of the local delivery
spool and stores it in a private mbox folder. This complicates matters
if you've spent years developing your procmail filters. I haven't
determined how to have evolution pull from these additional folders yet.

As someone who doesn't like unsolicted email, I've spent some time
filtering my messages and tweaking my spamassassin rules to filter out
the junk. (http://gunix.net/spam). I've been adjusting the scores based
on the frequency of messages that match a particular filter. It seems
that evolution doesn't have two things that Pine has: view headers and
pipe [this message through this program].

So at the end of this message, I'm curious to know if others have
similar success stories and if anyone has a solution to the local
folders/procmail quandry that I have.

Take care,
--
Jeremy Dinsel