[wplug] hd problem

Vanco, Donald VANCOD at PIOS.com
Thu May 1 11:13:53 EDT 2003

Brian Medley wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 30, 2003 at 04:52:14PM -0700, Bob Schmertz wrote:
>
>> Is this a normally working system that just one day decided to stop
>> working?  Or did you do something like take a HD from one system and
>> move it to another system with a lower kernel version number?  Or
>> what?
>
> Here is the sequence of events that they described to me:
>
> a) Notice that CD-Writer is not recognized.  At this point hd is
> accessible.
>
> b) Change out CD-Writer with a different one.
>
> c) Reboot and get "init not found" or equivalent error.
>
> d) Put old CD-Writer back in.
>
> e) Problem persists.

	If you did not, in fact, re-arrange devices on the bus(es) OR insert
a device that is causing a master/slave contention - my guess would be that
your BIOS has automagically altered your drive C-S-H data.  Hopefully, you
know what it was set at and can restore if you were not using a BIOS
default.

	Look over your BIOS (as it pertains to IDE devices), note current
settings, have BIOS re-scan, save, exit, reboot, pray.

	Take EVERYTHING off the IDE bus but the boot drive and see what you
get.

Don