[wplug] hd problem

Alexandros Papadopoulos apapadop at cmu.edu
Thu May 1 09:21:16 EDT 2003

On Wednesday 30 April 2003 21:45, Brian Medley wrote:
<snip>
> Here is the sequence of events that they described to me:
>
> a) Notice that CD-Writer is not recognized.  At this point hd is
> accessible.
>
> b) Change out CD-Writer with a different one.
>
> c) Reboot and get "init not found" or equivalent error.

I don't buy that. Unless they took out the *HD* that init was trying to
boot from, this is extremely unlikely to happen.

> d) Put old CD-Writer back in.
>
> e) Problem persists.

To be expected, since taking out a CD writer couldn't have crippled a
Linux installation. Something else happened there.

Did you try running badblocks?

-A
--
http://andrew.cmu.edu/~apapadop/pub_key.asc
3DAD 8435 DB52 F17B 640F  D78C 8260 0CC1 0B75 8265