[wplug] scp, ssh, ftp login only root

abe at beerhouse.net abe at beerhouse.net
Mon Mar 31 12:19:26 EST 2003

> Scott Kiesling wrote:
>> Hi all-
>>
>> I think there is probably a simple answer to this, but I'm not good
>> with the networking stuff:
>>
>> I am trying to use ssh, scp, and ftp to log into my machine (the
>> former preferred). When I try to log in, I get the message "530
>> Authentication failed, sorry Login failed." When I try loggin in as
>> root (dangerous, I know), it works. I am using the same password I use
>> successfully when loggin in at the console. What is wrong? How can I
>> fix it?

i'm sorry i'm not clear on this, but are you able to login remotely via
ssh and/or sftp?

there's a file, /etc/ftpusers, which contains a list of users that should
_not_ be able to login via ftp.  this is where you can disable t
the 'anonymous' ftp user and preferably root.

other configuration files depend on which ftp daemon you're running and
which distro you currently have installed.  provide us with a little more
info?  :)

--
abe