[wplug] scp, ssh, ftp login only root

Vanco, Donald VANCOD at PIOS.com
Mon Mar 31 09:53:27 EST 2003

Scott Kiesling wrote:
> Hi all-
>
> I think there is probably a simple answer to this, but I'm not good
> with the networking stuff:
>
> I am trying to use ssh, scp, and ftp to log into my machine (the
> former preferred). When I try to log in, I get the message "530
> Authentication failed, sorry Login failed." When I try loggin in as
> root (dangerous, I know), it works. I am using the same password I
> use successfully when loggin in at the console. What is wrong? How
> can I fix it?
	There are config files that control authentication - at any of
several levels depending on the service in question.  I'd say look at the
man pages for the service in question for details, and also at PAM.
	RH has a construct of files in /etc/security/*.conf (particularly
access.conf) - but as stated, you can do this at several levels.

Don