[wplug] wheee. somehow installed...

Vanco, Donald VANCOD at PIOS.com
Mon Mar 31 09:47:43 EST 2003

John Harrold wrote:
> Sometime in March Amy D assaulted the keyboard and produced:
>
>> Thanks John and Don and Alexandro-
>> I tried the install again and seem to have installed the darn thing.
>> Now we'll see if I can find my way around! The book says it comes
>> with apache, which I don't see anywhere, but it's only been 20
>> minutes or so (I'm cheating and am writing this from windoze...)
>> One of my motivations for trying this is that I want to be able to
>> run cgi scripts. I've been doing some novice web design and wanted
>> to approach the next level. (without foudering around on somebody
>> else's server!) After asking around, it sounded like lots of
>> software I'd have to go out of my way to get my hands on (with that
>> other OS) comes with Linux. Very exciting. Got a book on perl -
>> maybe will now have a chance to try some of this stuff. Sadly I'm
>> out of town for the sessions coming up, but am looking forward to
>> catching later ones, and meeting people in this community I was
>> previously so unaware of. Talk about missing out! Thanks again,
>> Amy
>
> to see if apache is installed type the following at the console:
>
> # rpm -qa |grep apache
	Wow - an hour long drive to take a 5 minute trip.
	It might be more appropriate to use:
rpm -q apache
	Running a query (-q) against ALL installed RPMs (-a) is a long
process if the database has not sync'd itself in a while.
	However, if you want to get a snapshot of the entire system (i.e.
all the installed RPMs) the -qa is a good option - I do this:
rpm -qa | sort -d > rpms.out
	...which results in a nice alphabetical file of the RPMs installed.

	That being said - also be aware there is a file that you can grep:
/var/log/rpmpkgs
	...I'm just not sure of it's update frequency (the morbidly curious
can peek at cron for this info)

> to start apache you should only have to do the following as root:
>
> # service httpd start

	There are 2 common commands for services under RHL (and others) -
"service" and "chkconfig".  I've written to this in detail either here or at
CLUG (or both) so I'd say look at the archives for details - but the
"service" command controls "current state" of a service whereas chkconfig
does nothing to effect the current status of a service, just sets it's
behavior when entering a given run level.

	For those using the GUI, I suggest using the handy front end that
is:
redhat-config-services

> to configure apache you can run 'apacheconf' as root
	apacheconf will get you a working config file, but is poorly written
and wipes out all of the useful comments.  Caveat Emptor.

> or you can just
> edit the file /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf-most things in linux are
> configured with text files in /etc. if you make any changes to the
> file you have to restart apache to make them take effect:
>
> # service httpd restart
>
> you probably wont have to make any changes though.
>
> if you want to make apache start each time the computer boots you can
> do the following:
>
> # chkconfig --level 345 httpd on

	While this works, it's worth noting that run level 4 is currently
not used under RHL (and others).

Don