[wplug] Amanda Backup

Mike Griffin mike at dmrnetworks.com
Mon Mar 31 09:47:31 EST 2003

As far as mounting XP shares...
Check wether you're using NTFS or fat. If you're using NTFS you'll have
to adjust two sets of permissions for what you're trying to share. One
set of permissions being the file permissions. The second set of
permissions being the sharing permissions. Remember that the MOST
RESTRICTIVE set of permissions is used.

For simplicity sake, let's try this example.
On the Windows box:
Create a folder on your desktop named test, and share this folder as
test with the file/shared permissions being RWX to everyone.

On the linux box:
# I always set the hostname of the windows machines in my /etc/hosts
file.
# This is good if you use static IPs, otherwise a WINS server might be
nice.
  echo "192.168.0.100     windows.machine.net  windows" >> /etc/hosts

# create our mount folder
mkdir /mnt/windows

# I'm going to assume that for your XP box that the username is
administrator and that the # password for administrator is r2d2
# You can leave the password option out of the line, but you'll be
prompted for the
# password. You can replace the computer name with the actual IP too.

# mount -t smbfs -o username=administrator //192.168.0.100/test
/mnt/windows
mount -t smbfs -o username=administrator,password=r2d2 //windows/test
/mnt/windows

One other issue that can come into effect here is the XP firewalling
stuff. I consider windows machine generally insecure and just leave
this feature off. With that said, and having not used it, I  cannot
provide any guidance using it.

Mike