[wplug] Request Same IP?

Mike Griffin mike at dmrnetworks.com
Mon Mar 31 09:14:18 EST 2003

I'd suggest installing some sort of firewalling sofware, IPTables works
wonders, for your security needs. Most probes/attacks will come from
scans by someone who scans an entire block of IPs. Your ISPs block of
IPs only contains so many IPs. In this case, a dynamic IP within the
same block is a false sense of security. Let's think in "script kiddie"
terms here:

1.  Found this new apache vulnerability.
2.  Found this script which will do all the work for us if we find a
computer which is
       running the said version of apache.
3.  Let's scan the IP blocks of 194.131.0.0 - 194.131.250.0
4.  Found a machine with the vulnerability, run our little exploit
script.
5.  Install a root kit. - We need some means of getting back into the
machine

All of this can be done in a matter of minutes.

Mike