[wplug] wheee. somehow installed...

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Sun Mar 30 23:50:47 EST 2003

Sometime in March Amy D assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| Thanks John and Don and Alexandro-
| I tried the install again and seem to have installed the darn thing. Now
| we'll see if I can find my way around! The book says it comes with apache,
| which I don't see anywhere, but it's only been 20 minutes or so (I'm
| cheating and am writing this from windoze...)
| One of my motivations for trying this is that I want to be able to run cgi
| scripts. I've been doing some novice web design and wanted to approach the
| next level. (without foudering around on somebody else's server!) After
| asking around, it sounded like lots of software I'd have to go out of my way
| to get my hands on (with that other OS) comes with Linux. Very exciting. Got
| a book on perl - maybe will now have a chance to try some of this stuff.
| Sadly I'm out of town for the sessions coming up, but am looking forward to
| catching later ones, and meeting people in this community I was previously
| so unaware of. Talk about missing out!
| Thanks again,
| Amy

to see if apache is installed type the following at the console:

# rpm -qa |grep apache

to start apache you should only have to do the following as root:

# service httpd start

to configure apache you can run 'apacheconf' as root or you can just edit
the file /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf-most things in linux are configured
with text files in /etc. if you make any changes to the file you have to
restart apache to make them take effect:

# service httpd restart

you probably wont have to make any changes though.

if you want to make apache start each time the computer boots you can do
the following:

# chkconfig --level 345 httpd on

where # is your prompt in these examples.

john harrold               | "They that can give up essential
     jmh at member.fsf.org |  liberty to obtain a little
/"\                        |  temporary safety deserve neither
\ / ASCII ribbon campaign  |  liberty nor safety."
 X  against HTML mail      |
/ \                        |  Benjamin Franklin
gpg --keyserver keys.indymedia.org --recv-key F65A739E
--Henry David Thoreau