[wplug] Printing to Windows

R.E.Coutch vze57qmg at verizon.net
Sun Mar 30 23:28:28 EST 2003

I've  printed from Linux to Windows shared printers countless times
using various distro's and differebt network setups
but my poblem at home is driving me nuts!

We have a little home network with (currently) no domain controller.
It is setup as a Windows workgroup and all client PC's use DHCP
to access the network.

I like SMB because the machines can easilty be found even if the IP
addresses change.

I have no problem browsing the network shares or accessing files from
either Linux or Win98 PC's.

I do have a problem trying to print to the HP-940C on my wife's Win98 PC
from my SuSE 7.3 PC.

The SuSE PC dual boots to RedHat 8 which prints with no problems over SMB.

I have tried using LPRng and CUPS that came w/SuSE 7.3 but no luck
printing via SMB.

Here's the only way I can print (currently).

1 - Have application print to a file (eg: file.ps)

2 - execute the following command:
gs -sDEVICE=hpijs -sDeviceName=DJ9xx -r300x300 -dPrintMode=1 -dNOPAUSE
-dSAFER -sOutputFile="file.hp" file.ps - c quit

3 - then execute:
smbclient //SLC-OFFICE/HP940C -N -P

4 - at the smb> prompt I enter "put file.hp" and then I exit smbclient
and wait for the job to finish printing.

I have updated LPRng, ghostscript and samba as well as added printtool
to try and get printing via SMB working "the right way"
but with no luck.

I'm not getting any error messages (that I can find) so I can't tell
where this is failing.

Has anyone been through a similar situation or have any suggestions.
I have spent several weekends on this problem but I am no better off.

I want to do this via SMB because of the DHCP otherwise I would look for
lpd for windows.

Thanks for any info,

Bob