[wplug] 1st attempt at install

Vanco, Donald VANCOD at PIOS.com
Sun Mar 30 19:45:18 EST 2003

Amy D wrote:
> I decided to try the install from the CD in the redhat 8 book. I set
> my BIOS to boot from the CD, but windows kept coming up anyway. (no
> clue.) The book was good for telling me how to making a boot floppy
> from the img files on the cd, so I did that and got into the Linux
> install that way.
>
> At some point, I got a message that said, "The partition table on
> /dev/hdb is inconsistent. There are many reasons why this might be
> the case. Often, the reason is tht Linux detcted the BIOS geometry
> incorrectly. However, this
> does not appear to be the case here. It is safe to ignore, but
> ignoring may cause (fixable) problems with FAT file systems. Using
> LBA is recommended." (same message for hda as well)
>
> Knowing nothing of how to deal with this, I chose to ignore and keep
> my fingers crossed.
	If Windows wrote to the drive it's like causing the messages, but
you were correct to ignore them

> In the series of screens presented by disk druid, I got to the one
> where you partition your drive, and was unable to do it. I thought of
> just copying down error messages and reporting back to you guys, but
> at some point I realized I was unable to get out of this series of
> screens. I could back up and go forward, but there was no exit that I
> could figure out. The only way I was able to get out of disk druid
> was to shut down the computer, which scared me silly since I'm trying
> to install an operating system (not as of yet something I try on a
> daily basis.)
	You can always bail on the installation with the old "three finger
salute" - the changes to the drive partitions are not written until after
the package selection section.

	Can you try to give us some details on your errors?  What happened
to allowing the system to auto partition??

> So, partly dejected and partly just feeling silly, but still wanting
> to try Linux, I have two questions.
>
> 1.) Is there anyone in the east part of Pittsburgh (I'm in Forest
> Hills) who I could pay to walk me through the install?
	If you can call me at work in the AM I am willing.  Contact me off
list if no one else can assist.

> 2.) What exactly goes on at the installfest? What do you bring, what
> to expect, etc.
	Bring your system and your OS and yourself.

Don