[wplug] geforce4 and redhat

Coutch, Robert Robert.Coutch at tvratings.com
Fri Mar 28 14:16:23 EST 2003

Here's what I do on RH8 after each kernel upgrade.

I keep a copy of the source rpm for the Nvidia kernel driver
from their website on my system.

After the kernel is updated, I reboot.

Once the system comes up and X fails I tell Xconfigurator not to run.
I am them put into a console.

I type rpmbuild --rebuild Nvidiaxxxxxxxxxx.src.rpm --target
athlon-redhat-linux

(fix the name of the source package and your target for your system)

XF86Config already has "nv" as the driver to load from the last time so
I just reboot and I'm good to go.

I could skip the last reboot but I want to make sure everything was changed
permanently.

I don't use the tar ball.

You probably need the kernel sources/devel rpms installed on you system too
but this should already be the case.

Hope this helps,

Bob