[wplug] Solaris Unix server, line printer, VPN problem - boggle

Scott Bourns scott at scottbourns.com
Fri Mar 28 11:42:52 EST 2003

Okay, this isn't exactly Linux, but it's a *nix-related problem so I
figure we have a few of you guys and gals out there who might have some
ideas.

Setup:

Tally 6050 line printer attached to a HP Jetdirect 300X print server.
Printer data transmitted over a VPN (wireless ISP, 1Mb/1Mb) from offsite
Solaris Unix server accessed over same VPN from Win 98 clients at
printer site.

Problem:

Print jobs will either just stop in the middle and be lost or hang, then
restart from beginning with no error codes displayed on the printer.

Attempted:

I changed the buffer on the printer to it's max, static, from dynamic.
This slowed printing (frequent pauses) but seemed to help a little (not
total fix) on the lost jobs. Still restarting though.

Then, I raised the timeout on the Jetdirect to 180 seconds from it's 90
second default and lowered the MSS to it's lowest settings.

Still not entirely stable. I'm about out of ideas and could use any
guidance - neither HP, Tally, or Google have anything new for me to try.

Thanks in advance.

Scott