[wplug] geforce4 and redhat

Vanco, Donald VANCOD at PIOS.com
Wed Mar 26 10:17:51 EST 2003

Tom McCullough wrote:
> okay I just stepped out of the frying pan and into the fire!
> I had no luck getting the 3com or nvidia nforce2 NICs working on the
> ASUS A7N8X mobo, so I downloaded the public beta for RH 8.1 (phoebe
> 8.0.94) and did an upgrade.  It recognizes everything on the mobo
> including both NICs and I think the sound.  everything chugs along
> great until X starts up.  now the Chaintech geforce4 ti 4200 video
> card that was working fine with RH 8.0 and the nvidia drivers (from
> the nvidia site) goes to a black raster.  the monitor is getting sync
> signals, a faint outline is visible at the edges of the screen, and
> two brief flashes occur.  I can blindly type <ctl>+<alt>+f1 and my
> complies. The boot gives no fails and no warnings, but as soon as it
> should shift to the X screen, nothing but black raster.  I can't find
> XF86Config-4  when I boot the first disk and try a rescue command
> line. It should be in /etc/X11/, right?
	Well, it should be - when you get into a non-graphical boot as
instructed, run
redhat-config-xfree86 with one or more of the following options:
  -h, --help        display this help and exit
  -v, --verbose     display what the program is doing more verbosely
  -o, --output=     the filename of the config file to be output
      --reconfig    don't base configuration on existing config files
      --noui        don't show the gui, implicit when using --set options
      --forceui     force the ui to be shown, needed when using --set
options
                    to change some setting, but you still want to show the
ui
      --set-<key>=  change the value of a specific configuration key.

        currently supported keys are:

        resolution  the screen resolution used
        depth       the color depth in bits
                    most drivers support 8, 15, 16 and 24
        driver      the graphics card driver to use
        card        the graphics card description to use
                    e.g. 'ATI Radeon (generic)'
        vsync       monitor vertical sync rates allowed (in Hz)
        hsync       monitor horizontal sync rates allowed (in kHz)
        videoram    the amount of videoram in kilobytes, 0 means probe

	Try setting it up for generic VGA first, or skip it and install the
nVidia drivers directly since you've got nothing to lose in terms of a
trashed config.  You will decidedly have to add the nVidia drivers after the
fact.....  Red Hat will /never/ be including a closed pre-compiled binary
driver for anything.

Don