[wplug] Linux on a Mac PowerBook G3

Tim Quinlan tim at techfocus.net
Tue Mar 25 11:24:55 EST 2003

> ....But seriously, I was under the impression all Linux distros were capable
> of running on Macs.  Am I wrong?  Is YDL somehow specially geared for
> Mac hardware?

The binaries that make up the YDL distro are compiled to run on the PowerPC processor.
Debian also offers a flavor of their distro that is specially compiled
to run on a PowerPC.

Technically you could take all the source code from a particular
distibution and compile it for PPC, and add a Mac friendly boot loader.
Which is basically what the folks YDL, Debian and probably a few more
have already done.