[wplug] Linux on a Mac PowerBook G3

Vanco, Donald VANCOD at PIOS.com
Tue Mar 25 09:26:50 EST 2003

Paul G Cantalupo wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Very soon, I am going to be inheriting a PowerBook G3 and I want to
> install Linux on it. I've briefly read about Yellow Dog Linux and it
> sounds great. Has anybody had experience with YDL? If not YDL, then
> what other options do I have?

	There were TONS of guys walking around Linux World with Apple
laptops running Linux, and at least one running FreeBSD.  I believe that
SuSE and Debian will work in addition to YellowDog.  RH has an ancient
release (7.1) that may or may not work.  I messed with YellowDog on an IBM
B50 when they first came out - and it sucked.  I would imagine (hope) it has
matured by now - the last release I tried was 1.2.
	A quick peek at distrowatch shows the YD has released 3.0 (there's a
review on the front page) http://www.distrowatch.com/

Don